Nominations are now being accepted for Canadian Society of Animal Science 2017 Awards, to be presented at the 2017 ASAS-CSAS Annual Meeting & Trade Show in Baltimore, MD, USA, from July 8-12, 2017. The deadline is midnight, on Friday, April 28, 2017.
Please nominate your deserving colleagues for the following awards:
- Canadian Society of Animal Science Fellowship
Awarded to CSAS members for truly outstanding contributions in any field of animal agriculture. Selection is to be made by the Honors and Awards Committee from nominations by the membership. This award is sponsored by Alltech Canada Inc.
- Award for Excellence in Nutrition and Meat Science
Awarded to CSAS members to encourage excellence in teaching, research or extension in the fields of nutrition and meat science at the provincial, federal or international level.
Nominees previously awarded AIC or Canadian Society of Animal Science Fellowships are not eligible for this award, but the converse does not apply. Selection of recipients will be made by the Awards and Honours Committee from nominations received. This award is sponsored by Nutreco Canada.
- Award for Technical Innovation in Enhancing Production of Safe Affordable Food
This award recognizes excellence in technical innovation and teaching with particular emphasis in the fields of biotechnology, genetics, physiology and animal behavior. The award requires a demonstration that the recipient had contributed to the production of safe and affordable food. CSAS and AIC fellowship recipients are ineligible. This award is sponsored by Elanco/Eli Lilly Canada Inc.
- Canadian Animal Industries Award in Extension and Public Service
This is awarded to a CSAS member in recognition of outstanding service to the animal industries of Canada in technology transfer, leadership and education in animal production. The recipient of the award may be employed in any sector of the Canadian animal industry. The contribution to advancement of education and technology transfer in animal agriculture in Canada must have been outstanding and sustained over time. The contributions must be distinct from those of research. Selection of recipients will be made by the Awards and Honours Committee from nominations received. This award is jointly sponsored by the Dairy Farmers of Canada, the Canadian Pork Council, the Chicken Farmers of Canada, and the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association.
- Young Scientist Award
This is awarded to a CSAS member, in recognition of their achievements as a new member of the research community. Individuals who have demonstrated excellence in research in any area of animal and/or poultry science, and who have held their Ph.D. for a period not greater than seven years (or eight years in special cases such as birth of a child or prolonged illness) are eligible. Nominees previously awarded AIC or Canadian Society of Animal Science Fellowships are not eligible for this award, but the converse does not apply.
Selection of recipients will be made by the Awards and Honors Committee from nominations received. This award is sponsored by Masterfeeds LP.
- Honorary life membership
Awarded to CSAS members who have retired from active employment and who have been active members for a period of no less than 10 years immediately preceding retirement. Honorary Life Members cease to pay membership dues. The award is intended for members who have truly retired (age 65) and not for those who have retired only to assume another career or appointment. Note: Nominations are not required for Honorary Life Membership (selection of recipients is based on the CSAS membership list; however, the Honors and Awards Committee would appreciate members identifying potential recipients).
To be eligible for these Awards, a nominee must have been a CSAS member for 3 (three) consecutive years at the time of nomination, except for the Young Scientist Award, for which a nominee must have been a CSAS member for at least 1 (one) year.
Nominated individual must be a current member of CSAS.
Nominations (except for Honorary Life Membership, only CV required) must be accompanied with the following as electronic files (PDF or Word file(s) preferred):
- Name, address, phone number and e-mail address of nominator(s).
- Name of nominee.
- Date and place of birth of nominee.
- Workplace address, phone number and e-mail address of nominee.
- Reason for nomination: a statement (approximately one-half to one page in length) of WHY this particular nominee is being proposed.
- Education – Post Secondary.
- Record of employment.
- Service to the profession (books and papers published, courses and number of students taught, industry activities, consultations, overseas involvement, etc.).
- Honours and awards already held.
- Summary of the important part of the documentation that is suitable for incorporation into a citation if the nominee wins the award (maximum of 250 words).
- For nominees for the Canadian Animal Industries award in extension and public service, letters of support from farm organizations on a local, provincial and/or national level would be required.
Further details on awards at www.csas.net
Please forward complete nominations by email by midnight, Friday, April 28, 2017 to:
Dr. Ehsan Khafipour
CSAS Awards Chair
Dr. Eveline Ibeagha-Awemu
Photo: Dr. Filippo Miglior, 2016 recipient of the Award for Technical Innovation in Enhancing Production of Safe Affordable Food. Dr. Miglior is pictured with Dr. Eveline Ibeagha-Awemu.